Malana Smith
Fund. of Speech
Mon, Wed, Fri
Self-Evaluation #1
1-28-14
Self-Evaluation- Introduction Speech
1. Initial Observation: I found that it was a solid speech, but there are improvements to be made. I seemed confident, but still a bit nervous. Once I got going, I gained more confidence and finished strong.
2. Introduction: Seemed to grab the attention of my audience, but I had a habit of fiddling with the desk in front of me and did not maintain consistent eye-contact.
3. Body: My transitions seemed to flow smoothly. I moved my hands around a lot and looked at my paper now and again. I needed to emphasize my second point more in order to give a clearer understanding of my middle name. During my third point, I seemed to rabbit trail.
4. Conclusion: I summed up everything pretty well and reintegrated my main points. I wish I would have said each name that matched each characteristic instead of saying my full name, then listing my three points. I was happy to incorporate my future last name, though that was a last minute decision. I enjoyed this speech!
5. What I did well: I was able to grab the attention of the audience pretty easily. They seemed very attentive and interested. I liked that my speech was different than the others and more unique. I also felt like I did not show any nervousness though I felt nervous. I was also able to get all of my point out and did not leave anything out from my notes. I also managed to avoid “umm’s” or apologizing if I messed up.
6. What I will improve: I will not look at my notes as much and make sure I have steadier eye contact with the audience. I will also have smaller notes instead of full pages. I also want to improve how many times I pause so I can keep a steady flow of speaking. I also think I want to speak a tad bit louder to prevent any trailing off of volume, and to keep people awake. I also want to make my speeches a tad bit longer. I tried my best to keep it shorter because I have a habit of taking too much time. I need to find that balance.
No comments:
Post a Comment